Monday, November 17, 2008

Chili and Cornbread


Things have been quite busy around here, so sorry for the delay in new recipes and postings. This meal here, though, is a great way to sit back, relax, and enjoy the comfort of food. I've always found chili to be a hearty, homey, soothing meal. And, the best part is that it's super easy. Paired with a side of homemade cornbread, nothing could be better on an autumn night.


Three-Bean Chili

This chili recipe is based off of what I remember my mom and dad making when I grew up. I don't know if it's an exact replica of their recipe, but it's pretty close. Come to think of it, it's not an exact replica of itself any time I make it. Make this recipe your own by adding more or less of the spices or switching up the types of beans and toppings. The whole point of chili is to warm your soul, and who knows how to do that better than you?

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
1 (15-oz.) can black beans
1 (15-oz.) can pinto beans
1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans
3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
4 dried chiles, chopped
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. salt

scallions
jalapeno, diced
avocado, chopped
cheddar cheese, grated

1. In a dutch oven on medium to medium-high heat, saute the onions in a bit of olive oil until nearly translucent. Add the garlic and bell pepper, continuing to saute until the peppers have softened.
2. Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, chiles, and spices. Bring the chili to a simmer, allowing the flavors to meld. Taste to ensure your liking of the spice mixture.
3. Top with the scallions, diced jalapeno, and cheddar cheese.

My Mama's Cornbread

From the title, I'm sure you gathered that this is my mom's recipe for cornbread. I don't know where she got it from, but she gave it to me a few years ago and I've been making it ever since. With a pad of butter (and a dollop of honey for Adam), a slice of this cornbread brings me right back to my parents' kitchen table.

3/4 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1 egg, well beaten
2 Tbs. melted butter

1. Sift the dry ingredients (corn meal through salt) together in a large bowl.
2. Mix in wet ingredients.
3. Spoon into a cast iron skillet. Bake for 20 minutes at 425.

No comments: