Monday, April 27, 2009

Mac n' Cheese


For some strange reason, I have been craving some mac n' cheese. I found a recipe for a quick and easy mac n' cheese that seemed pretty delicious, and was I right! It was super fast; it actually took less time than I had expected it to. I served it with my mom's traditional mac n' cheese sides of peas and stewed tomatoes. I'm still eating the leftovers and loving every bite.

Creamy Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese (Cooking Light, June 2006)

4 cups uncooked medium elbow macaroni
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 1/4 cups fat-free milk
1/4 cup (2 oz.) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. Worcesteshire sauce [this isn't vegetarian, so I used soy sauce]
1/2 tsp. bottled minced garlic
1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese [I have to admit that I used the full-fat version of the cheese]

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
2. While pasta cooks, place flour, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan. Add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Drop cream cheese by teaspoonfuls into milk mixture; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until thick and cream cheese melts, stirring occasionally. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire, and garlic; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add Cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Combine pasta and cheese sauce in a large bowl; toss well.

No comments: