Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lentil Question Answered!

Sharon asked me the other day what to do with a lentil craving. My answer is this:

My mom used to make this lentil salad, which I absolutely loved! The original recipe came from Vegetarian Planet (one of the best vegetarian cookbooks out there). My mom switched it up by adding caramelized onions and serving it over lettuce leaves to make it more of a meal, which I highly recommend. This salad is perfect for a light dinner or lunch. I hope you enjoy, Sharon!


French Lentils with Caramelized Balsamic Vinaigrette (Vegetarian Planet)

2 cups lentils
5 cups water
1/4 cup currants (my mom often used crasins)
5 Tbs. balsamic vinaigrette (or balsamic vinegar and olive oil to taste)
1 large tomato, chopped into cubes
2 Tbs. minced shallots (or onions)
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup basil leaves, sliced, for garnish

1. Bring lentils and water to boil in a saucepan. Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes. Add more water if the lentils get too dry. When tender but chewy, add the currants and simmer for 2 more minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
2. While the mixture is still hot, add the balsamic vinaigrette.
3. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Serve warm or chilled.

3 comments:

Sharon Berlin said...

Mmmm-can't wait to try this one!

Unknown said...

It's really good if you add some crumbled cheese like feta.

ILoveFood said...

The crumbled cheese sounds amazing! Good idea.