Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pepper and Pasta Perfection

The other night we literally only had leeks and red peppers for fresh vegetables in our house--and I had to make dinner! Being the crafty person that I am, I created a masterpiece of a meal that could actually be served to guests. I roasted the red peppers under the broiler, sauteed the leeks with sage and cannellini beans, and put that all over whole wheat pasta. Not bad for a last minute meal with very limited ingredient choices, if I may say so myself. Sorry, I don't have a picture for this one. My camera ran out of batteries, and we didn't have any replacements. I will try to get some more as soon as possible though!


Roasted Red Pepper and Leek Pasta with Cannellini Beans

2 red peppers
1 medium leek, thinly sliced
1 (15-oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. fresh sage, thinly sliced
3 tsp. milk or cream
1 tsp. flour
1/3 lbs. whole wheat pasta

1. Place the red peppers until the broiler, rotating as each side darkens. Carefully watch this process as the peppers can easily burn too much.
2. Remove the peppers and place them in a plastic bag, tying off the open end. Allow to cool. Then, peel and slice the peppers into strips.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add leek; saute until slightly browned. Add red peppers, cannellini beans, and sage. Once the beans have heated through, mix in the milk and flour. Stir flour in thoroughly, ensuring that there are no lumps.
4. Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions.
5. Top the pasta with the red pepper and bean sauce.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Its amazing what can be thrown together!