Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Perfect Combination


I have to say, that my blog entries may be coming a bit more sparse. This week I've started two jobs: one as an Instructional Assistant at a Special Education High School, and the other as a dancer in Peninsula Ballet Theatre. My days from sitting and relaxing all day have drastically changed to being busy all day, every day. Don't worry, I will still find time to cook and post new entries. This past Monday, Adam and I made a fantastically delicious meal. We've made meals similar to this before, but I suggest trying this particular combination. We made Herbed Pork Chops/Grilled Lemon, Thyme Tofu, Lemony Grains, and Grilled Broccoli. I have posted the grilled broccoli recipe before, so I won't repeat. I have to say, the Lemony Grains were the highlight of the meal for me. We purchased a mix of grains at Trader Joe's, but you could certainly substitute any grain that you prefer. If you have access to a Trader Joe's, I would strongly suggest trying the Harvest Grains Blend; it adds texture, flavor, and nutrients to the meal that you wouldn't otherwise get from pasta or rice.


Herbed Pork Chops (Adam)

Be creative with this recipe. Add what you are in the mood for and think would be tasty. I guarantee, if it sounds good to you, and you put the pork chop on the grill, you will enjoy it.

1 can/bottle beer (your favorite variety)
spices/herbs of your choice
2 pork chops

1. Drink the can or bottle of beer to help the creative juices flow.
2. Cover your pork chops in whatever herbs and spices you deem to be extra delicious at the time.
3. Allow the pork chops to sit and meld with the herbs for a few hours or, preferably, overnight.
4. Grill for approximately 6 minutes on each side, or until they no longer stick to the grill.


Lemon, Thyme Tofu

I made the mistake of trying to marinate the tofu slices in a bowl. It works much better if the tofu is sitting in a flat surface rather than a rounded one. That way, the tofu can absorb the liquid marinade on all sides more easily.

1 lemon, juiced
1/4 tsp. thyme
salt
pepper
2 slices tofu. 1/2-inch thick (1 slice per serving)

1. Prepare the marinade of lemon, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Add the tofu and allow to sit for an hour or more, rotating the tofu slices occasionally.
2. Grill until each side has blackened slightly and received grill-marks.


Lemony Grains

All I can say is Mmm, good.

1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
1 scant Tbs. butter
1 1/4 cups grains
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp. rosemary

1. Bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Add butter and stir in the grains. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in the juice of one lemon, and top with rosemary. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like Adam's pork chop recipe, though I may prefer the Lime vodka drink for inspiration! Actually, the grains sound delicious and something we will try soon!